We focus on collaborative patient care that will help provide education/training, develop infrastructure and facilities, mentorship/observership, fellowship, that will eventually lead to Nigeria becoming a centre for other West African countries to help train and develop paediatric Cardiology and Cardiothoracic services.
We will collaborate and partner with leading teaching as well as private hospitals in Nigeria
Theses hospitals will serve as referral centres for all regions in Nigeria and will eventually subsequently provide training for other hospitals in Nigeria.
We carry out live saving operations at the National Hospital Abuja, Nigeria in collaboration with our UK partners – Healing Little Hearts, Leicester, Uk.
We will undertake 4 Congenital and acquired heart disease treatment for Children and open heart surgery missions yearly.
So far we have carried out the following surgery at the National Hospital, Abuja
||ABUJA NATIONAL HOSPITAL, NIGERIA
|AORTIC ARCH REPAIR
Based on our vision where every Nigerian child is given an opportunity to life by providing the needed care for treatable heart disease. The quest is for every child to have access to the cardiac treatment they so much desperately need. That is why we are building local sustainable Cardiac service in Nigeria.
We do this by:
Mentorship of the local team
Training local medical team through onsite and overseas training programmes
To build the infrastructure necessary to sustainably support specialist services. This we wish to do in several ways such as
Through donating specialist equipments
Through developing dedicated cardiac centres
Providing equipments maintenance for sustainability of the Cardiac Centres
To help provide specialist medical equipments and vital supplies
Training local professionals holds the key to the future success of Cardiac units that we are developing.
We aim to train the multidisciplinary team in each of the different roles necessary for the diagnosis, treatment as well as the after care of Nigerian children with heart disease.
Courtesy visit to the National Hospital Abuja 27th November during
Post surgery patient in ICU being cared for by our
- In line with our objective, SPEM QUIA FILII foundation sponsored four (4) Nigerian doctors (three paediatric cardiologist (from Lagos University Teaching Hospital, National Hospital, Abuja and Maiduguri University Teaching Hospital) and one cardiothoracic surgeon from National Hospital Abuja) to CSI Africa conference which took place in Kampala, Uganda from November 25 to 26 2016. The conference was hosted by the Uganda Heart Association.
- Fully funded first round of specialist training of Nigerian doctors at the Ugandan heart institute with a visiting team from Southampton University Hospital UK from 28th November to 2ND December 2016
- The official launch of the charity took place on the 27th day of September 2017 at the Congress Hall, Transcorp Hilton Abuja, Nigeria.
- Partnership with Healing Little Hearts, Leicester, UK
- Partnership with National Hospital Abuja and Federal Ministry of Health
- 24th to 30th September 2017, a team of medical professionals from the Uk carried out FREE open heart surgery on children at the National hospital Abuja, Nigeria.
- 15th to 22 April, 2018, another team of medical professionals from all over the world carried out FREE open heart surgery on children at the National hospital Abuja, Nigeria.
- We secured sponsorship in collaboration with the National Hospital Abuja, Nigeria for one of the consultant paediatric cardiologist to one of the most prestigious centres in India for one year fellowship in all aspects of paediatrics Cardiology which she started in July, 2018.
- Training in echocardiography for 2 consultant paediatrician ( one from National Hospital Abuja and second from Maiduguri teaching hospital) during our mission programmes who are now independently able to carry out as well as report echocardiograms.
4 MISSION TRIPS TO NIGERIA
Provide a state of the art Catheter Laboratory
Fully equipped Cardiothoracic Theatre
4 – 6 bedded intensive care unit
4 – 6 bedded High Dependency Unit
To continue the development and training of a fully functional cardiology as well as Cardiothoracic teams at the National Hospital Abuja.
Eventually, National Hospital Abuja will take the lead in the training for each of the other five (5) geopolitical zones in Nigeria.
FORMAL LAUNCH OF THE CHARITY IN THE UK in 2019 (Date to be confirmed)